Ginger – 125 gms
Jaggery – 1 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – 1/4 tsp
Tamarind Extract – 2 to 3 tblsp, thick
Gingelly Oil – 2 tblsp
Dry Red Chillies – 2 to 3
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Salt as per taste
1. Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a pan.
2. Fry the dry red chillies, mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds for a minute or two.
3. Remove and grind them to a fine powder.
4. Peel and finely chop the ginger.
5. Combine this with salt, tamarind extract and grind to a thick, smooth paste, without adding water.
6. Heat the remaining oil in the pan.
7. Add the ground ginger paste, jaggery, asafoetida powder and chilli powder.
8. Simmer over low flame until thickened.
9. Remove and store it in a ceramic (or a bottle) container.
10. Serve with idli, dosa or curd rice.
11. Stays good for a long time.