Kozhukattai is a traditional sweet offered to Lord Ganesha during the Ganesh Chaturthi festival time. Kozhukattai have numerous stuffing options depending on where you go in India. This variation is using Dry Fruits and is very easy to make. Not to mention it is very tasty as well.
- Rice Flour – 1 cup
- Salt to Taste
- Sesame oil – 1 tsp
- Water as Required
For the Pooranam (Stuffing):
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Mixed Nuts – 1/4 cup (cashews, pista, almonds)
- Dry Fruits – 1/4 cup (dates, apricot, fig, raisins, cherries)
- Sugar – As per Taste
- Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Heat a pan over medium flame.
- Add water, salt and oil.
- When it starts to boil, reduce the flame to low and add rice flour to it.
- Stir continuously and make sure no lumps are formed.
- Remove from heat and let it cool down.
- Knead them to soft dough and cover it for a while.
- To make the pooranam (stuffing), take a wide bowl, add the grated coconut, chopped nuts, dry fruits and mix well.
- Grease you palm with oil/ghee, take a medium size ball from the prepared rice flour dough.
- Flatten them and keep little stuffing inside and seal them carefully.
- Repeat the same process for the remaining dough.
- Heat a streamer and place them in idly plate and steam it for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve them.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !