Rava Upma is one of the most popular and traditional South Indian breakfast and / or evening snack dish. Nutritious, tasty and very simple to make, this upma is made using rava (sooji) and with an optional choice of veggies. Rava is first roasted, then water is added and cooked until it reaches a porridge like consistency.
Rava Upma Recipe
Ingredients for Rava Upma
- 100 gms Rava (Sooji)
- 1 Green Chilli finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ginger finely chopped
- 2 tblsp Green Peas shelled
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Roasted Gram Dal or Bengal Gram Dal
- handful Coriander Leaves chopped
- as required Oil
- as per taste Salt
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- few Roasted Peanuts to garnish
How to make Rava Upma
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Fry the gram dal and mustard seeds for 30 seconds.
- Add the green chillies, peas, ginger and salt.
- Saute for a minute.
- Add the rava and pour enough water to the pan. The ratio of rava:water is 1:2 (for every 1 cup of rava, pour 2 cups of water).
- Stir well and simmer for a few minutes.
- When it starts to thicken and water has almost evaporated, remove from flame.
- Add lemon juice and stir.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and peanuts.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.
- You can also add onions, tomatoes, capsicums if preferred.
- You can also dry roast the rava for 30 seconds or until golden.