Pancakes made with rice and coconut.
Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
Yeast – 1 tsp
Rice – 4 cups
Rice cooked – 1/2 cup or 1 handful of cooked rice from previous day
Coconut – 1 cup, shredded or chopped into small pieces
Salt as per taste
1. For making the batter, first soak rice in water for 4 to 6 hours. Drain the soaked rice.
2. Dissolve the yeast in lukewarm water.
3. Add coconut shavings and cooked rice to the soaked rice Grind the mixture to make a thick paste. Do not add excess water.
4. Next combine the dissolved yeast and salt. Blend lightly. Put in the other ingredients and mix well. Allow the batter to ferment overnight. The next morning, the fermented batter would be ready for making the appams.
5. Pour approximately 4 to 5 tbsp of batter into the frying pan. Gently yet fast, turn the pan around. Make sure that the edges get coated only with a thin layer while a thick layer gathers at the bottom. Cover with a lid. Cook in medium heat for about 1 minute. Use a spatula to lift the appam. Repeat the process to make more appams.
6. Serve hot.