For the Rice Crust:
Rice Flour – 10 tbsp
Ghee – 1/2 cup
Salt – a pinch
For the Wheat Flour Rounds:
Semolina – 1 cup
Whole Wheat Flour – 5 tbsp
Salt – a pinch
Water – 1/2 cup
Rose Water – 1 tsp
Ghee – 1 tsp
For the Stuffing:
Split Red Gram – 1 1/2 cups, washed, drained
Sugar – 275 gms
Nutmeg Cardamom Powder – 2 tsp
Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
Ghee – 6 tbsp
Black Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp, grounded
Raisins – 1 tbsp
Crystallized Cherries – 15 gms, finely chopped
Onion Seeds – 10 gms
1. For the rice crust, put the ghee in a large, round container and whip with your palm till it liquefies.
2. Gradually add the rice flour and salt and knead with your palm into a smooth dough.
3. Divide the dough equally into 2 rounds and place them in a bowl of ice cold water.
4. For the whole wheat rounds, combine the semolina, whole wheat flour and salt in a large bowl.
5. Add the water, and knead into soft dough.
6. Add the rose water and ghee and knead for 10 more minutes.
7. Divide equally into 2 rounds and keep aside.
8. For the stuffing, cook the split red gram in a pressure cooker with 2 1/2 cups of water for about 15 minutes until soft.
9. Transfer into a large vessel and add the sugar, nutmeg cardamom powder, vanilla essence, 2 tbsp ghee, and black cumin seeds. Mix well.
10. Add the raisins, cherries and onion seeds and if the red gram is not thick, reheat and cool till it thickens.
11. Spread one of the wholewheat flour rounds onto a flat surface with your fingertips till it becomes circular and is the size of a quarter plate.
12. Then take one ball of the rice crust which was put in water and spread it over the whole wheat flour layer making it into a flat circle roughly 5 to 6 inch diameter.
13. Similarly make a disc of the second rice flour crust and wholewheat flour round.
14. Divide the red gram mixture into 2 equal portions and place each on the two flattened layers.
15. Fold the layer over the dal and roll into a ball.
16. Pat the stuffed roll flat with your palm till it is 6” wide.
17. Repeat with the second round.
18. Heat 1 tbsp ghee on an tawa.
19. Place one stuffed round carefully in the centre.
20. Cook for 5 minutes on each side shifting it back and forth with 2 pieces of soft cloth till golden brown.
21. Repeat with the second round.
22. Cut into wedges and serve hot with tea.