Chicken – 750 gms, cut into medium size pieces
Oil as required for deep frying
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped, for garnish
For the marinade:
Small Onions – 2, finely sliced
Sugar – 2 tblsp
Ginger – 1 one inch piece, peeled, sliced
Garlic – 2 cloves
Water – 1/4 cup
Soy Sauce – 2 tblsp
Chinese Rice Wine – 1 tblsp
Five Spice Powder – 1 tsp
Black Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp
1. Grind the sugar, small onions, ginger and garlic to a fine paste.
2. Add all the other ingredients and mix well.
3. Transfer to a pan and bring to a boil over medium flame.
4. Simmer until the sugar has completely dissolved.
5. Remove and keep aside to cool.
6. Once cooled, marinate the chicken pieces in this for 2 hours in the fridge. Ensure the chicken pieces are well coated with the marinade.
7. Drain excess marinate and steak cook the chicken for 20 to 30 minutes.
8. Remove and cool. Pat dry any remaining moisture.
9. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
10. Deep fry the chicken pieces until golden brown and crispy.
11. Remove and drain excess oil.
12. Garnish with coriander leaves.
13. Serve hot with rice.
image credit: thehungrymuse.com