- Lemongrass – 1 stalk, trimmed and roughly chopped
- Garlic Cloves – 3, peeled
- Fresh Hot Red Chilli – 1, deseeded
- Ground Black Pepper – 3/4 tsp
- Peanut Oil – 2 tblsp
- Beef Sirloin or Fillet Steak – 500 gms, fat trimmed
- Fish Sauce – 2 tblsp
- Fresh Lime Juice – 2 tblsp
- Sugar – 1 1/2 tblsp
- Mixed Asian Lettuce Leaves – 125 gms
- Fresh Basil – 1 bunch
- Fresh Mint – 1 bunch
- In a blender, grind the lemongrass, garlic, chilli, pepper and peanut oil to a paste.
- Spread some of the mixture over the steak.
- Set aside for a few minutes.
- To the remainder of the mixture, add the fish sauce, lime juice and sugar to make a dressing.
- Heat a barbecue or a non stick pan and grill the steak.
- Remove from the heat and keep aside for 5 minutes, then cut into thin slices.
- Toss the lettuce leaves and most of the herbs with a few tsp of the dressings.
- Arrange on individual serving plates.
- Arrange the beef strips over the salad.
- Drizzle on more dressing and garnish with remaining herbs.