Paneer Tikka is usually a dry and fried version of cottage cheese (Paneer) chunks. The paneer cubes are either fried on a grill or you can also fry it on your regular tawa. Some people also cook it in an oven but it tastes the best when fried on a grill or heated in a smoker. Moreover, you can also add tandoor masala to give it an authentic tandoor taste.
The paneer cubes or chunks are pierced one after another in a skewer and onion or tomato rings are placed in between before frying them. It proves to be a sizzling appetizer and is mostly eaten in camp parties or just behind a farmhouse on a chilly winter evening. You can make this recipe more sizzling by sprinkling it spices and garam masala or chat masala powders.
Before frying, the paneer pieces are marinated in a mixture of curd, spices, and salt so that all the ingredients get balanced and absorbed in the paneer cubes. Some people also use yogurt instead of curd but you will have to strain the yogurt if it is not thick enough. Use preheated oven, grill or frying pan to prepare this sizzling appetizer in no time!
Add a little bit oil on the grill or frying pan to avoid the paneer cubes from getting burnt. Also, always use non-stick frying pans as your panner cubes will not stick on them while frying.
It proves to be a perfect dish for non-vegetarian since it tastes almost as good as chicken or meat tikkas. Some people also make masala paneer tikka which can be eaten as a side dish as well. Paneer Tikka is packed with the wholesome goodness of paneer and innate qualities of spices. Therefore, you cannot miss out on eating them even if you are on a diet!
Paneer Tikka Recipe
Ingredients for Paneer Tikka
- 500 gms Paneer cubed
- 2 tblsp Capsicum chopped
- 2 tblsp Onion chopped
- 2 tblsp Tomatoes chopped
- 2 tblsp Carrots
- 1 cup Hung Curd
- 2 tblsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Tandoori Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin Seed Powder
- handful Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- 2 tblsp Butter
- 1 tblsp Oil
- few Wooden Skewers soaked in water for 45 minutes
How to make Paneer Tikka
- Combine curd, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, ginger garlic paste, tandoori masala powder, coriander leaves and salt in a bowl.
- Mix well.
- Add the paneer cubes and keep aside for 1 to 2 hours.
- Heat oil and 1 tsp butter in a pan over medium flame.
- Fry the marinated paneer pieces till golden brown.
- Remove and transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan.
- Saute the capsicum, tomatoes, onion and carrots for a minute or two.
- Add chaat masala powder and salt.
- Stir well and simmer for a minute or two.
- Spoon this over the paneer pieces.
- Serve with green chutney.
- Skewer the marinated paneer and the vegetables as per choice. Each skewer to have 2 or 3 paneer pieces.
- Place the skewers in a preheated grill.
- Brush with the remaining butter and grill till the paneer pieces are golden and vegetables are tender.
- The paneer should not be overcooked otherwise it will become rubbery.
- Transfer to a plate and remove the skewers.
- Sprinkle chaat masala on top.
- Serve with green chutney.