Aloo Tikki is a very popular fast food/street food snack in North India. Made with mashed potatoes and spices, they are often served on its own with chutney / sauce or made into a chaat with chickpeas, called Aloo Tikki Chaat.
It is best served as a tea time or evening snack or as a starter to a meal.
This is a versatile potato dish that there are numerous other dishes made using this. Aloo Tikki Burger and Aloo Tikki Chaat are some of the most common ones.
Aloo Tikki Recipe
Ingredients for Aloo Tikki
- 4 Potatoes
- 2 Onions finely chopped
- 4 to 5 Green Chillies
- handful Coriander Leaves
- handful Mint Leaves
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala Powder
- as per taste Salt
- as required Oil
How to make Aloo Tikki
- Boil, peel and mash the potatoes well.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the onions, green chillies, coriander leaves, mint leaves, red chilli powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, chaat masala powder and salt.
- Mix well.
- Shape the mixture into small lemon sized balls and flatten them.
- Heat a non stick (or a regular) tawa over medium flame.
- Cook the prepared tikkis on both sides, applying oil around the edges, until golden brown.
- You can also deep fry the tikkis if preferred. Ensure you do not fry them for long.
- Remove and serve with chutney or sauce.