Bread – 1 large loaf,, crusts removed
Ghee – 250 gms
Water – 2 1/2 cups
Sugar – 400 gms
Saffron – a pinch
Milk – 1 litre
Khoya – 200 gms, unsweetened
Raisins or Sultanas – 100 gms
Pistachios – 50 gms, blanched, peeled and sliced
Almonds – 100 gms, blanched, peeled and sliced
1. Cut each bread slice into half.
2. Fry till brown and keep aside.
3. Mix water with sugar and cook to a 1 string syrup.
4. Add saffron and mix.
5. Dip the bread slices in this hot syrup.
6. Keep it for 2 minutes and remove carefully without breaking the slices.
7. Boil milk till it is reduced to 2 cups.
8. Add khoya and mix well.
9. Pour 1/2 of the reduced milk onto a flat pan and spread a layer of bread.
10. Sprinkle with sultanas and nuts, then pour the remaining milk on top.
11. Pour 1/2 of the leftover syrup over the milk.
12. Cover with another layer of bread, then milk and syrup.
13. Cover pan with a lid and bake for 30 to 45 minutes to dry.
14. Transfer to a serving dish and cover with the silver varak.
15. Garnish with the nuts and serve at room temperature.