Maida – 250 gms
Sugar – 225 gms
White Butter – 200 gms
Baking Powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Instant Coffee Powder – 1 1/2 tblsp
Eggs – 3
Walnuts – few
For the Coffee Icing:
Coffee – 1 1/2 tblsp
Cornflour – 2 tsp
Brown Colour Essence – 2 drops
1. Sift together the maida, baking powder and the coffee powder.
2. Place in a mixing bowl and keep aside.
3. Grind the sugar in a mixer.
4. Mix in the eggs and beat well in a mixer or with a hand blender.
5. Add the butter and blend again.
6. Continue to blend and mix till the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
7. Add this mixture to the sifted flour mixing continuously as you do so.
8. Mix the sifted flour and the egg mixture together, ensuring no lumps form.
9. Grease a cake tin.
10. Pour the cake mixture into the cake tin and bake in a preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cake.
11. Put off the oven and allow the cake to cool
12. To prepare the icing, Mix the coffee in 2 cups of water and allow the mixture to simmer over low fire.
13. Mix the cornflour in 3 tsp of lukewarm water and add to the coffee mixture.
14. Continue to simmer and keep stirring till the mixture begins to thicken.
15. Put off the heat and mix in the brown colour.
16. Cool to room temperature.
17. Cut the cake into pastry sizes.
18. Use a butter knife to lace the top of each pastry cake with the coffee icing and garnish with pieces of walnuts.
19. Keep in the fridge for the icing to set completely.
20. Take out from the fridge just before serving.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !