Paal Payasam (or known as Milk Kheer / Rice Pudding) is a very popular South Indian dessert made during festivals or special occasions. This kheer is very simple and easy to make with minimal ingredients.
Milk – 1.5 litres
Rice – 500 gms, cooked
Sugar – 250 gms
Ghee – 2 tblsp
Cashew Nuts – few
Raisins – few
Cardamom Powder – little
1. Boil the milk in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium flame.
2. Reduce flame and simmer until it is reduced by half.
3. Add the rice and simmer for 15 minutes over low flame.
4. Keep stirring from time to time.
5. Add the sugar and stir until fully dissolved.
6. When the payasam starts to thicken, add the cardamom powder and mix.
7. Fry the cashew nuts and raisins in ghee.
8. Add to the payasam and serve hot or chilled.