Pasta – 250 gms, (sprial or shell)
Mayonnaise – 1/2 cup
Oil – 1 1/4 tblsp
Tomato Puree – 2 cups
Lime Juice – 3 tsp
Mustard Powder – 1 tsp
Tomato Sauce – 2 tblsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Black Pepper – 1 tsp, ground
Chilli Flakes – 1 tsp
Green Capsicum – 1, medium
Red Capsicum – 1, medium
Lettuce – 1 small head
Spring Onions – 1/2 bunch
1. Cook the pasta.
2. Wash and tear the lettuce leaves into strips.
3. Chop the white part of the spring onions with some of the tender green part.
4. Set aside.
5. Mix the drained pasta with the mayonnaise and set aside.
6. Heat 1 tblsp of oil in a pan over moderate heat.
7. Add the tomato puree and simmer for a minute or two, then boil for a further 1-2 minutes.
8. Add the lime juice, mustard powder, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, chilli flakes and 1/2 cup water.
9. Bring to the boil and boil until thick.
10. Remove and set aside.
11. Smear the capsicums with 1 tsp oil and place them in a preheated oven (170C) for 5 minutes until the skins have turned brown and shrivelled.
12. Peel the capsicums and cut into halves.
13. Remove and discard the inner pitch and seeds.
14. Chop the capsicums fine.
15. Add the capsicums to the sauce.
16. Place the pasta in a serving dish and pour the prepared sauce over it.
17. Mix lightly.
18. Garnish with lettuce strips and chopped spring onions.
To Cook the Pasta:
You need to cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water to which 1 tsp of oil is added. To cook 2 cups of pasta use 8 cups of water. Boil the water with 1 tsp of oil and 1 tspf of salt. After 7-8 minutes, the pasta should be cooked when it feels soft, yet firm to the touch.