Spinach – 8 cups, chopped
Spaghetti – 100 gms
Cheese – 1 1/2 to 2 cups, grated
Onion – 1, minced
Garlic – 2 cloves, crushed
Butter – 3 tblsp + 1 tblsp
Bread Crumbs – little
Flour – 3 tblsp
Milk – 2 1/2 to 3 cups
Corn Flour – 2 tsp
Pepper Powder – 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Fresh Herbs – 2 tsp, minced
1. Boil spinach with very little water and pass through a liquidiser. Set aside puree.
2. Boil some water, add 1 tsp oil, some salt and cook spaghetti till soft.
3. Remove from fire, discard water and leave spaghetti on a plate to cool sprinkling some oil so that it does not get sticky.
4. Melt butter, add onion and garlic, fry on low heat till translucent.
5. Add flour, stir fry till lightly browned.
6. Add spinach puree along with salt, pepper powder and herbs, fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
7. Mix milk with corn flour, gradually add to spinach, stirring all the while.
8. Simmer mixture for 2 to 3 minutes, remove from fire. This is spinach sauce.
9. Grease a casserole dish.
10. Mix together spinach sauce, spaghetti, 3/4 of the cheese, pour into dish, shake vessel to spread evenly.
11. Sprinkle rest of the cheese on top along with bread crumbs, dot with butter.
12. Bake in a moderate oven for 1/2 hour or till top is browned.
13. Serve hot.