Sugar – 1 cup
Water – 1/2 cup
Lime Juice – 1 tblsp
Melted Ghee – 1 tblsp
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
Avalos Powder – 1/2 kg
To make Avalos Powder:
Rice – 1 kg
Coconut – 6 cups, grated
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
1. To make Avalos powder, Soak 1 kg rice in water. Drain and powder the slightly damp rice.
2. Sieve the flour and mix grated coconut into it with your fingers.
3. Add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and salt to taste. Mix well.
4. Compact the mixture in the bowl to retain the moisture, and set aside for 3 hours.
5. Lightly roast on a heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, till golden brown.
6. Remove from fire, cool and sieve to remove any lumps.
7. Powder the lumps and roast again and add to the prepared avalos powder.
8. Cool and store in airtight containers. Use as required.
9. Mix sugar, water and lime juice.
10. Keep on fire and cook to one-thread consistency.
11. Add ghee, remove from fire and sprinkle cardamom powder over.
12. Cool slightly and add the warm syrup to the avalos powder.
13. Mix well and shape into small balls, the size of limes.
14. Toss the balls lightly in avalos powder and store in an airtight tin.