Beef ularthiyathu is a traditional dish from Kerala, slow roasted in a blend of ginger, garlic, garam masala, curry leaves and coconut oil. The beef ularthiyathu can be eaten as an appetizer or as the main course for lunch or dinner. It tastes best when served with rice or roti.
The dish is usually cooked in coconut oil but you are use regular sunflower oil as well.
Beef Ularthiyathu Recipe
Ingredients for Beef Ularthiyathu
- 500 g Beef Steak cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 Onion sliced
- cup Water
- tsp Turmeric Powder
- tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tbsp Oil
- handful Curry Leaf
- 2 Green Chillies minced
- 1 to 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tbsp Desiccated Coconut
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Oil
How to make Beef Ularthiyathu
- Combine the beef cubes, water, salt, turmeric powder and black pepper powder in a pressure pan.
- Cook it for 10 to 15 minutes or until 2 whistles and switch off the flame.
- Heat 1 tblsp of oil in a large frying pan over medium flame.
- Add the onions, green chillies and half of the curry leaves.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are softened.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and stir well.
- Add the coriander powder, garam masala powder and red chilli powder.
- Add the beef along with the juices to the pan and reduce the flame to low.
- Stir well and simmer for 5 minutes or until the liquid has dried out. Stir constantly so that it does not stick to the bottom.
- Fry the desiccated coconut with 1 tsp of oil until browned.
- Add the remaining curry leaves and pour it over the beef.
- Stir well and serve.