Akki Roti, also known as Arisi Roti, is a is a type of Indian bread that is made from rice flour, spices, water, salt and different veggies.
It is one of the most popular breakfast dishes in South India, especially in Karnataka. It can also be served as an evening snack item or for dinner.
Akki means “rice” in Kannada and roti means “flatbread”.
Akki Roti (Arisi Roti) Recipe
Ingredients for Akki Roti (Arisi Roti)
- 1 cup Rice Flour
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Green Chillies finely chopped
- 2 to 3 tbsp Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Green Peas shelled, boiled, lightly mashed, well drained
- 1 Onion small, finely sliced
- 1/3 cup Coconut grated
- as per taste Salt
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 2 tbsp Ghee
How to make Akki Roti (Arisi Roti)
- Combine all the ingredients except oil and ghee.
- Add enough water and mix to a soft dough.
- Make small/medium balls and keep them in a bowl.
- Cover with a kitchen cloth and keep aside.
- Grease a banana leaf or a clean plastic sheet (or even a kadhai).
- Take one of the prepared balls and gently press outward, pushing and spreading it evenly with your fingers.
- Heat a tawa over medium flame.
- Cook the rotis on both sides, applying little ghee around the edges, until light brown.
- Remove and serve with chutney or pickle.