Chicken – 800 gms
Oil – 3 tbsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
Green chillies – 3, finely chopped
Onion – 2, medium sized and grated
Garlic – 2 tsp, grated
Ginger – 8 tsp, grated
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Freshly milled pepper as per taste
Hot water – 1 cup
Salt as per taste
Cumin powder as required
1. Fry the cumin seeds in hot oil till they crackle, then add the green chillies and onions and fry for about 3 minutes or till the onions get golden brown.
2. Add the chicken pieces and stir fry for about 8 minutes or till the chicken pieces get brown.
3. Add and thoroughly mix all the other ingredients.
4. Cover the pan and cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes or till the chicken pieces are done.
5. More hot water can be added as per requirement to cook the chicken pieces or to increase the gravy. Cover the cook on low heat till done.
6. Garnish with a sprinkling of cumin powder.
7. Serve with rice or roti.
a) If boneless chicken is used, then the amount should be reduced to half and the cooking time must also be reduced accordingly keeping the other ingredients same.
b) The consistency of gravy can be increased or decreased as per taste preference.