Indulge in the ultimate barbecue delight with our Barbecue Chicken recipe. It’s a culinary journey that promises juicy, tender chicken drumsticks infused with the irresistible flavours of a homemade barbecue sauce.
In this recipe, we combine the smoky essence of tomato ketchup, the umami punch of soy sauce, the zesty twist of orange juice, and the sweetness of clear honey to create a sweet and tangy marinade. A hint of crushed garlic and mustard sauce adds depth to this sensational sauce.
The chicken drumsticks are generously coated with this marinade and left to soak up the flavours in the fridge for an hour. Then, it’s time to fire up the grill. The chicken is grilled to perfection, with each side getting a delectable char and a rich infusion of the barbecue sauce. The remaining marinade is generously spooned over the chicken as it cooks, creating a sticky, caramelized coating.
Once done, let the Barbecue Chicken rest for a few minutes before serving. The result is a succulent, smoky, slightly sweet dish perfect for any barbecue gathering.
- 8 Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Orange Juice
- 1 tbsp Sunflower Oil
- 3 tbsp Clear Honey
- 1 clove Garlic (crushed)
- 1 tsp Mustard Sauce
- In a bowl, combine tomato ketchup, soy sauce, orange juice, sunflower oil, clear honey, crushed garlic, and mustard sauce.
- Make three deep cuts in each chicken drumstick.
- Place the chicken in a large, shallow dish and roll each piece in the marinade until well-coated.
- Cover the dish with cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Lay the chicken drumsticks (uncut side up) on a foil-lined grill pan.
- Grill for 7–8 minutes, then flip and grill the other side for another 7–8 minutes.
- Turn the chicken again, spoon on half of the remaining marinade, and grill for 5 minutes.
- Flip, spoon on the rest of the marinade, and grill for a final 5 minutes.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 2–3 minutes before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
What sides pair well with Barbecue Chicken?
Can I make this recipe with other cuts of chicken?
Yes, you can use other cuts like chicken wings or thighs. Adjust the cooking time to ensure they are cooked through.
Can I prepare the marinade in advance?
Absolutely! You can prepare the marinade ahead of time and store it in the fridge for up to a week, making weeknight grilling a breeze.
Is there a vegetarian version of this barbecue sauce?
Yes, you can use this barbecue sauce to marinate tofu, tempeh, or even grilled vegetables for a delicious vegetarian BBQ option.
What other barbecue recipes should I try if I love Barbecue Chicken?
If you’re a barbecue enthusiast, explore our recipes for “BBQ Pulled Pork” and “Grilled BBQ Shrimp” for more mouthwatering BBQ flavors.