Chicken Thukpa (or Tibetian Noodle Soup) is a traditional soup made with noodles and chicken popular in Tibet, Bhutan, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh and North East India.
Thukpa is a generic term for any soup combined with noodles. This dish uses chicken pieces and plain noodles. It is often served in small bowls where the veggies / chicken are eaten with chopsticks and the soup drunk straight from the bowl.
A fragrant, hearty soup that is easy to prepare and is wholesome.
Chicken Thukpa Recipe
Ingredients for Chicken Thukpa
- 1/4 cup Plain / Egg Noodles cooked as per package instructions
- 2 tbsp Mixed Vegetables - 2 tblsp chopped
- 1 Whole Chicken Legs thighs and drumsticks
- 1 Onion small, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Spring Onions chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Green Chilli finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ginger minced
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Stock
- Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- handful Coriander Leaves chopped
- as per taste Salt as per taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 tsp Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Honey
How to make Chicken Thukpa
- Heat oil in a deep pan over medium flame.
- Add the chicken and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, turning from time to time.
- Now add the onions, spring onions, garlic, green chillies and ginger.
- Mix and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock.
- Add the lemon juice, soy sauce and honey.
- Add salt as per taste and mix well to combine.
- Cover the pan with a lid and reduce flame to low.
- Allow it to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and shred it.
- Add the shredded chicken to the pan.
- Add the mixed vegetables and the cooked noodles.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Switch off flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.