200 gms Fresh fenugreek – methi leaves (stalk and stems removed)
250 gms lotus stem
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp red chilli paste
1/2 tsp haldi powder
1/2 tsp jeera powder
4 to 5 tsp fried onions
3 tbsp tomato puree
3 tbsp oil
salt to taste
1. Scrape the lotus stem and cut the lotus stem diagonally into thin pieces.
2. Boil 300 ml of water and add salt to taste.
3. Boil the lotus stem pieces in the water for 5 minutes and drain out the excess water. Keep aside.
4. Heat 2 tsp of oil and fry the methi leaves till these shrink.
5. Add 3 tbsp of water and cover with a lid and cook on low fire till tender.
6. Add the pastes and the fried onion and 2 tsp of water and fry this paste for 2 to 3 minutes with the methi leaves, on low fire.
7. Now mix in the lotus stem pieces and continue to fry on low fire adding the tomato puree and the rest of the oil.
8. Check for the salt.
9. Add the spices and continue to fry for another 2 minutes.
10. Add 2 to 3 tbsp of water, cover with a lid and cook till all the lotus stem pieces are tender.
11. The preparation will be dry. Serve with puri’s or roti’s.