Made with tomatoes, onions, garlic and chilli peppers, this dip is heavy on flavour and health. Extremely simple to make, it is a sure hit across all age groups as it will definitely zing up the taste of all dishes it is paired up with. A typical salsa, ranges from mild spiciness to extreme heat, depending on the type of chillies used.
One of the signature aspects to a good Mexican salsa is its smokiness. Make sure to char the onions and tomatoes a bit to bring in that lightly burnt flavour and aroma. Depending on how one likes the dip, it can either be chopped up into tiny bits or pulsed in the blender for a chunky sauce like texture.
Once you master the basics, the variants are numerous. Check out some of our other recipes that uses salsa.
Ingredients for Mexican Salsa
- 5 Tomatoes
- 1 Onion
- 6 Cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 2 Red Chillies
- 1 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 4 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 10 Jalapeno
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Oil
How to make Mexican Salsa
- Heat a pan/ kadhai under medium flame.
- Roast the tomatoes, garlic and onions.
- Flip in between to avoid burning.
- Remove the onions and garlic and keep it aside.
- Roast the tomatoes on all sides until the skin is getting peeled off.
- Remove and cool down.
- Transfer all the roasted ingredients along with other ingredients except oil.
- Blend them coarsely without adding water and transfer to a bowl. You should have a chunky texture.
- Add olive oil and mix well.
- Serve as dips with nachos, fries or even make Mexican Bean rice with it.