Toor dal – 1 glass
Ripe tomatoes – 4, finely chopped
Green chillies – 2, split
Red chillies – 4
Cumin seeds – 2 tsp
Coconut – 1/2, grated
Baby onions – 5 to 6, finely chopped
Curry leaves – few
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Cooking oil or Ghee – 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
Water as required
1. In a pressure cooker, cook the dal with 4 glasses of water. It should be in the paste form when done.
2. In a vessel, take the cooked dal paste and add the tomatoes.
3. Add salt and turmeric powder, green chillies and allow the tomatoes to be cooked.
4. Meanwhile, grind the grated coconut, 3 red chillies and the cumin seeds together.
5. When the tomatoes are cooked, add the coconut paste to the dal.
6. Cook the mix for another 5 minutes. Add more water, if necessary.
7. Now, in another pan, heat the oil/ghee and allow mustard seeds to splutter and after that, add the curry leaves and a chopped red chilli into it.
8. Add the chopped baby onions and saute them till golden brown.
9. Add the above seasoning into the daal.
10. Serve with rice or chapathi.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !