Jhal Muri is a popular street food especially in the streets of Kolkata, Orissa and Bangladesh. Also known as Kurmura, it is made with puffed rice, spices and assorted vegetables.
Traditionally served in a cone made out of newspaper, it is easily customizable to each person’s tastes. Jhalmuri is eaten as a snack or as an appetizer and sometimes as a salad. Very similar to Bhel Puri and Sev Puri, but it has a Bengali influence over it.
Jhal Muri Recipe
Ingredients for Jhal Muri
- 3 cup Puffed Rice
- 1 Tomato de-seeded, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Black Chickpeas (Kala Chana) boiled
- 1 Cucumber peeled, finely chopped
- 2 Green Chillies finely chopped
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Roasted Peanuts skins removed
- 2 tsp Mustard Oil
- 3 tblsp Coriander Leaves chopped
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp Black Salt
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
- as per taste Salt
- 2 to 3 tblsp Plain Sev
- 1/4 cup Grated Coconut to garnish
How to make Jhal Muri
- Heat mustard oil in a pan.
- Add the chaat masala powder, black salt, red chilli powder and cumin powder.
- Remove from flame and mix well.
- Combine all the other ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the spice mixture from step 2 and mix well.
- Garnish with grated coconut and sev if desired.
- Serve at once.