Idli (Idly) is a very popular South Indian breakfast dish. This Methi Idli is a healthy alternative to the traditional idlis. Methi are a good source of Vitamin A, C, K, minerals like folic acid, iron and calcium. Serve this idli with sambar or idli milaga podi.
- Idly Batter – 1 kg
- Fenugreek (Methi) Leaves – 2 bunches
- Shallots – 100gms
- Red Chillies – 3
- Salt to Taste
- Oil – As Required
- Clean and wash the methi leaves well.
- Finely chop them.
- Heat oil in a pan under medium flame.
- Add the chopped shallots, red chillies, salt and chopped methi leaves to it.
- Cook until the green leaves turn soft and tender.
- Remove from flame and allow it to cool down.
- Blend them in a mixer and add it to the idly batter.
- Take a idly streamer and grease the plates with oil.
- Pour a ladle full of the prepared batter and steam cook them for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from flame and serve hot with any chutney.
- If needed, temper the batter with mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida to enhance the taste.