Oats is a good source of dietary fiber and protein than other cereals. This variation of the regular kozhukattai is a spicy version of the same and can be served as an evening snack.
- Oats – 1/2 cup
- Rice Flour – 1/2 cup
- Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup
- Salt to Taste
- Oil – 2 tblsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Bengal Gram Dhal – 1 tsp
- Onions – 1, medium, finely chopped
- Curry Leaves – Few
- Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Idli Milagai Powder – 1 tsp, optional
- Crush the oats finely.
- Take large bowl, add the oats, rice flour, salt, grated coconut and mix well.
- Heat a pan, add water and boil it.
- Add the hot water gradually to the flour mixture and stir them.
- Make sure no lumps are formed.
- Knead them to a dough and make small balls from it.
- Take a streamer and steam cook the balls for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Keep them aside.
- Take a kadai and heat under medium flame.
- Add oil, mustard seeds, Bengal gram dhal and fry them till golden brown.
- Add the chopped onions, curry leaves and fry.
- If needed, add little salt to it.
- When the onions turn golden brown, add the cooked kozhakattai balls and gently mix them.
- Before removing from flame, sprinkle some pepper powder and idli milagai podi.
- This is an excellent evening snack.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !