Kuzhi Paniyaram is a popular South Indian breakfast / evening tiffen dish that both kids and adults will love. Staple of the Chettinad cuisine, this dish is best served with chutney.
- Idly Batter – 4 cups
- Siru Keerai (Tropical Amaranth) – 1 cup, finely chopped
- Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1 tsp
- Green Chillies – 2, finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 tsp, peeled and grated
- Onion – 1, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Oil – as required
- To a pan, heat oil in a medium flame.
- Add the mustard seeds, urad dal, green chillies and grated ginger.
- When the dal turns golden brown, add the onion and fry.
- Add the chopped green leaves and salt.
- Fry till the green leaves are cooked.
- Remove from flame and mix it with the idly batter.
- Heat the paniyaram pan in medium flame.
- Add 2 tsp of oil in each hole.
- Pour the batter in each hole.
- Cook on one side and flip over and cook the other side too.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.
Tip: You can also use leftover idli or dosa batter.