Paniyarams are a popular dish in South India often served as breakfast items or evening tiffins. This is the famous Chettinad style Masala Paniyarams.
Raw Rice – 2 cups
Urad Dal – 1 1/2 cups
Onions – 2, finely chopped
Mustard Seeds – little
Curry Leaves – few
Coriander Leaves – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Green Chillies – 8 to 10
Oil as required
Salt as per taste
1. Soak the rice and dal, separately, for 2 hours.
2. Drain well.
3. Grind the green chillies and urad dal to a thick batter, adding little water.
4. Grind the rice to a thick batter, adding little water if required.
5. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan.
6. Fry the mustard seeds and curry leaves for 30 seconds.
7. Add the onions and saute well.
8. Transfer to a large bowl.
9. Add the rice batter, dal batter, coriander leaves and salt.
10. Mix well until thick.
11. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
12. Drop small portions of the dough and deep fry in hot oil.
13. Remove and drain excess oil.
14. Serve hot with chutney of choice.