A dish from the Mughlai cuisine where minced meatballs are made from a mixture of bengal gram, mango pulp and spices. Best served with rotis, rice, pulao or chapatis.
Minced Meat (Lamb or Chicken) – 300 gms, cleaned, washed and pat dried
Onions – 2, finely chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste – 3 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1 1/2 tblsp
Roasted Bengal Gram – 2 tblsp, powdered
Shah Jeera – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 1/2 cup
Mango Pulp (or Mango Puree) – 1/2 cup
Salt – to taste
Chopped Mango Pieces
1. To make the koftas in a bowl, mix minced meat, 1/2 tsp chilli powder, shah jeera, salt and bengal gram power. Mix well and grind together.
2. Make lemon-sized balls out of the mixture and keep aside.
3. In another vessel, heat oil and saute onions till golden brown.
4. Lower the heat and add ginger garlic paste, the remaining chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
5. Fry together while adding a little water till the oil floats on top.
6. Add 4 to 5 cups of water.
7. When the water boils, add the koftas and cook until the gravy thickens slightly and oil floats on top.
8. Cool a little and then add the mango pulp.
9. Garnish with coriander and mango pieces.
10. Serve hot with chapatis.
image via NDTV