Eral Milagu Varuval or Prawn Pepper Fry is a popular South Indian seafood dish. Fresh prawns are cleaned, deveined and cooked in a assortment of spices including black pepper and curry leaves.
Prawns are a very popular seafood delicacies along the coastal regions of South India. In some places chopped onions are added. This recipe below does not have onions, but if you prefer you can add them.
This dish is best served as a starter or as a side dish with rice items.
Eral Milagu Varuval (Prawn Pepper Fry) Recipe
Ingredients for Eral Milagu Varuval (Prawn Pepper Fry)
- 500 g Eral (Prawns) cleaned, deveined
- 10 to 12 Garlic finely chopped or minced
- 30 to 35 Black Peppercorns coarsely crushed
- handful Curry Leaves
- 6 Green Chillies chopped
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- as per taste Salt
How to make Eral Milagu Varuval (Prawn Pepper Fry)
- Transfer the cleaned and washed prawns to a large bowl.
- Add the cumin powder, turmeric powder and gently toss well.
- Keep aside for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Fry the curry leaves for 10 seconds.
- Add the garlic and green chillies.
- Stir well.
- Add the marinated prawns and enough salt.
- Reduce flame and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook for a few minutes until the prawns are cooked.
- Sprinkle the crushed peppercorns and stir gently.
- Cook for another minute or two.
- Remove and serve.