French bread (unsliced) – 1 loaf
Butter – 1/2 cup
Corn syrup – 2 tbsp
Sugar – 1 cup
Eggs – 5
Milk – 1 1/2 cup
Vanilla – 1 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
1. In a small saucepan cook the butter, corn syrup, and sugar over low heat, stir gently until the mixture is syrupy.
2. Pour the above mixture in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
3. Slice the french loaf into 1 inch slices and then place the slices over the syrup mixture.
4. Now mix together the eggs, milk, vanilla and salt until well blended and pour over the bread. Cover the baking dish and refrigerate overnight.
5. In the morning, remove from the fridge and bring to room temperature while the oven preheats. Uncover and bake at 350 F for 20 minutes.
6. When the french toast is ready, remove from oven and invert onto a large serving plate.