Badam Pedas or Almond Fudge
1 cup whole milk powder
2 cups milk
1/2 cup almonds
3/4 cup ghee
3 cups sugar
a few drops almond essence
a large pinch of saffron
1/4 cup warm milk
1. Blanch and skin the almonds. Grind to a very fine paste using 3/4 cup milk while grinding. Soak the saffron in 1/4 cup warm milk, mix thoroughly with the ground paste, and set aside.
2. Warm 1 cup of milk. Add the milk powder gradually to form a smooth paste. Add this to the ground almond paste and mix well.
3. Boil the sugar with 1 cup of water briskly until it dissolves. Strain, put back on fire and boil further until a thick syrup of one-thread consistency is obtained. Remove from fire and add the milk-almond mixture. Beat thoroughly.
4. Put back on fire and cook on moderate heat, gradually adding the ghee until the mixture starts to thicken and solidify. Keep stirrind during this process. Add the almond essence. Remove from fire, spread on a greased plate and cool.
5. Take small pieces of this semi-solid mixture, and roll them into balls. Then smoothen the balls, and flatten them into peda shapes. Alternately, press into sandesh moulds.