Potato Onion Fry is the most popular and a commonly made dish in South India. A simple and versatile dish, this can be used in multiple way – as a side dish to rice dishes or as a filling to masala dosa or a sandwich.
Also known as Sukha Aloo or Sauteed Potatoes with Onion, this is a dry dish suited for all occasions.
Potato Onion Fry / Sukha Aloo Recipe
Ingredients for Potato Onion Fry / Sukha Aloo
- 2 Potatoes chopped
- 1 Onion small, finely chopped
- 2 tblsp Oil
- 2 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Green Chilli chopped
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- handful Coriander Leaves chopped
- as per taste Salt
How to make Potato Onion Fry / Sukha Aloo
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Add the dry red chillies, cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- Saute until the mustard seeds start to splutter.
- Add the onions, potatoes, green chilli and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Mix well and cook for another 5 minutes.
- When the potatoes are cooked, garnish with coriander leaves.
- Remove from flame.
- Serve as a side dish with rice dishes or use it as a filling for masala dosa.