Bhindi Pyaz (or Bhindi do pyaza or Okra with onion) is a popular North Indian dish that is made with okra, onions and spices.
The dish has become popular all over the country and there are many variations of it. Known for its rich taste and bright color, it is often eaten with roti or rice in homes or restaurants. In some places, chopped tomatoes are also added along with ginger and garlic.
Bhindi is called by many names – Okra in English and Vendakkai in Tamil.
Bhindi Pyaz Recipe
Ingredients for Bhindi Pyaz
- 500 g Bhindi / Okra
- 1 Onion finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- as per taste Salt
- 3 tblsp Oil
- 1 Tomato small, chopped
How to make Bhindi Pyaz
- Wash the bhindi and pat dry.
- Cut off the tops and discard.
- Chop them into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
- Add the bhindi and onions. Add the tomatoes if using.
- Saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the red chilli powder, salt and turmeric powder.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook until the bhindis are tender.
- Stir frequently to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove and transfer to a serving dish.
- Serve hot as a side dish to rice dishes or roti.