A traditional pongal recipe with Tamarind extract. Best served with papad or chips.
Raw Rice – 200 gms
Tamarind – 1 lemon sized ball
Dry Red Chillies – 2
Mustard Seeds – little
Bengal Gram Dal – little
Turmeric Powder – little
Curry Leaves – few
Asafoetida Powder – little
Oil – 100 ml
Salt as per taste
1. Grind the rice to a coarse rava consistency.
2. Add enough water to the tamarind and extract a thick liquid (about 1 cup).
3. Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
4. Fry the mustard seeds and red chillies for 30 seconds.
5. Add the turmeric powder, asafoetida powder, salt, bengal gram, curry leaves and stir well.
6. Add the broken rice and tamarind extract.
7. Add some water (for 1 cup broken rice add 4 cups of water) and stir well.
8. Cover with the lid and pressure cook until 3 whistles.
9. Remove and serve hot with papad, potato chips or onion raita.
image via The Hindu