Also known as Kolkata Ghugni Chaat, this is a popular street food in West Bengal.
Dry Peas (Yellow Peas) – 2 cups
Onions – 2
Tomatoes – 2
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Sugar – a pinch
Oil as required
Onions – finely chopped
Green Chillies – finely chopped
Coriander Leaves – finely chopped
Lemon Juice – as per taste
Chaat Masala Powder – as required
Sweet Tamarind Chutney
Potato Chips (optional)
1. Grind together the onions and tomatoes to a paste.
2. Heat 2 to 3 tsp oil in a pressure cooker.
3. Fry the cumin seeds for 30 seconds.
4. Add the onion-tomato paste and saute for a minute.
5. Add the peas, red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, salt and sugar.
6. Stir well and cook until the oil starts to separate.
7. Pour enough water and cook for a few minutes.
8. When it starts to thicken and the peas is cooked, remove and transfer to a serving bowl.
9. Garnish with onions and green chillies.
10. Pour a little tamarind chutney, green chutney.
11. Sprinkle coriander leaves and chaat masala powder.
12. Finally add the lemon juice and potato chips.
13. Serve at once.