Sabudana Khichadi (Javvarisi Khichdi in Tamil) is a popular Maharastrian breakfast dish (often served as an evening tiffen as well) or during fasting for festivals like Navratri.
Javvarisi (Sago/Sabudana) – 1 1/2 cup, lightly roasted
Fried Peanuts – 1/4 cup, chopped
Thick Curd – 1 cup
Coconut – 1/4 cup, grated
Potato – 1, mashed
Onion – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Green Chilles – 2, finely chopped
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece, peeled, finely chopped
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – little
Oil as required
Salt as per taste
1. Add enough water to javvarisi and wash well.
2. Drain excess water.
3. Add curd and mix. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
4. Add peanuts, salt, coconut and mix well.
5. Heat oil in a pan.
6. Fry the urad dal and mustard seeds for 30 seconds.
7. Add green chillies, ginger, onions and saute well.
8. Add the potatoes, javvarisi mixture and cook for 5 minutes.
9. When it starts to thicken, remove from flame.
10. Garnish with coriander leaves.