A vegetarian version of the popular Seekh Kebab, this is a delicious and easy to make starter perfect for any meal/occasions or as a teatime/evening snack.
Potatoes – 2
Onion – 1, finely chopped
Green Chilli – 1, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 tsp, finely chopped
Garlic – 1 tsp, finely chopped
Carrot – 2 tblsp, grated
Beetroot – 2 tblsp, grated (optional)
Coriander Leaves – big handful
Mint Leaves – big handful
Roasted Gram Flour – 1/4 cup
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 3 to 4 tblsp
Salt as per taste
Wooden Skewers – few, soaked in water for 30 minutes
1. Boil, peel and mash the potatoes.
2. Heat 1 tblsp of oil in a pan over medium flame.
3. Saute the onions and garlic for 30 to 40 seconds.
4. Add the ginger, carrot, green chillies and beetroot.
5. Sprinkle some salt.
6. Add turmeric powder, garam masala powder and red chilli powder.
7. Mix well and cook for a minute or two.
8. Remove and keep aside to cool.
9. Add the mashed potatoes, coriander leaves, mint leaves and gram flour.
10. Add cardamom powder and mix well.
11. Make medium sized balls and slightly flatten them lengthwise along a wooden skewer.
12. Repeat until all the skewers are used.
13. Heat a non-stick pan over medium flame.
14. Brush the kebabs with little oil and place them on the pan.
15. Cook until evenly browned, turning them from time to time.
16. Remove and transfer to a serving plate.
17. Serve with sauce or green chutney.