1 kg thin pohe (flaked beaten rice, thin),
150 gms puffed rice,
1/2 cup peanuts,
1/2 cup chana dalia,
1/4 cup cashewnuts,
1/4 cup dry coconut (make thin vertical pieces of 1 cm),
3 teaspoon ajwain,
1 tbsp white sesame seeds,
20-25 green chilies,
4 bunches curry leaves,
3 tsp coriander powder,
3 tsp cumin powder,
1/2 cup oil,
4 tsp turmeric powder,
1 tsp asafoetida,
1. Roast pohe and puffed rice (each item separately) on medium heat until crisp. Use 1 tsp oil for better roasting.
2. Also roast sesame seeds.
3. Now add 1 tbsp oil in the same pan and fry peanuts until brown. Remove them and fry coconut pieces until golden brown. Also fry cashewnuts.
4. Chop green chilies into small pieces. Set aside all the fried items.
5. Again heat 1/2 cup oil in a pan. When it is hot, add mustard seeds, turmeric powder, asafoetida. Then add curry leaves.
6. Now add chana dalia and fry till they turn reddish. Add chilies and fry again for some time. Later add sesame seeds and ajwain seeds.
7. Finally add pohe, puffed rice and all the fried ingredients together (peanuts, cashewnuts, coconut pieces) and mix. Add salt, coriander-cumin powder, sugar and toss gently.
Delicious crisp chivda is ready.
Tip: Roast pohe and puffed rice properly to get nice crisp chivda. Roasting can be done in conventional oven or microwave. Adjust time according to your oven setting.
Variation: Coriander seeds, raisins, grated ginger, sev can be added.