Maida – 1 cup
Rice Flour – 1/2 cup
Coconut – 1/2, grated
Sugar – 2 tsp, powdered
Cardamom Powder – 1 tsp
Vanilla Essence – 3 drops
Baking Powder – a pinch
Oil for frying
1. Grind the coconut and extract milk.
2. Sieve together the maida, rice flour and baking powder.
3. Add coconut milk, cardamom powder, sugar and enough water.
4. Mix well to a smooth batter, like a bajji batter consistency.
5. Add the vanilla essence and beat well.
6. Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
7. Dip the murukku mould (also called as achu murukku maker) in hot oil for 3 to 5 minutes.
8. Dip this in the batter and place it in hot oil.
9. When it is half fried, remove the mould (use a knife) and fry the cookies till light golden.
10. Remove and drain excess oil.
11. Store in an airtight container. This stays good for 3 to 4 weeks.