A simple and perfect vanilla sponge cake that can be served as a tea cake by itself or can be used as a base for any other cakes that you want to make during a special occasion like birthday parties or festivals like Christmas. An easy recipe for a simple, moist and delicious vanilla sponge cake.
- Maida (Plain Flour) – 125 gms
- Butter – 125 gms
- Powdered Sugar – 125 gms
- Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla Essence – 1/3 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/4 tsp
- Eggs – 2
- Salt – a small pinch
For the icing:
- Butter – 25 gms
- Icing Sugar – 25 gms
- Vanilla Essence – 1/8 tsp
- Beat the butter and powdered sugar until frothy.
- Sieve together the maida, salt, baking powder and baking powder in a bowl.
- Break the eggs into the butter mixture and mix.
- Add vanilla essence.
- Gradually add the maida mixture and mix well.
- Transfer to a greased and floured cake tin.
- Smoothen the surface and place it into a preheated oven at 180C for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Beat all icing ingredients and keep.
- Once the cake is done, remove and cool slightly.
- Add the icing into a piping bag and decorate as desired.