Rich in protein, the Moong Dal Sundal (or also known as Pasi Paruppu Sundal in Tamil) is healthy and simple evening snack to make for kids. It is also a popular recipe for Navratri festival and is distributed as a prasadam to guests.
Moong Dal (Pasi Paruppu) – 2 cups
Green Chillies – 4
Coconut – 1/4 cup, grated
Oil as required
Salt as per taste
Ginger – 2 tsp, grated
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – handful
1. Dry roast the dal for a minute or two without browning it.
2. Soak it in water for 2 hours.
3. Cook the dal in a pan over medium flame until it becomes soft and tender. Do not over cook (or pressure cook) as it will become mushy.
4. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
5. Add the mustard seeds, urad dal, green chillies, curry leaves, ginger and asafoetida.
6. Fry for 30 seconds.
7. Add the cooked dal and salt.
8. Mix well.
9. Add the grated coconut and stir gently to mix.