Tamarind Extract – 1 cup, thick (if desired dilute it with little water)
Coconut – 2 tblps, grated
Black Peppercorns – 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Sambar Onions – 4, peeled, left whole or chopped
Garlic – 4 cloves, chopped
Sambar Powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Gingelly Oil as required
Mustard Seeds – 1/8 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Salt as per taste
Curry Leaves – few
1. Heat oil in a pan.
2. Fry the peppercorns, cumin seeds, sambar onions, garlic and coconut.
3. Saute for a minute and add the tamarind extract.
4. Add sambar powder, turmeric powder and salt.
5. Mix well.
6. In a small frying pan, fry the mustard seeds, asafoetida powder and curry leaves in little oil.
7. Pour this over the kuzhambu and mix well.
8. Bring to a boil.
9. When the oil starts to float, remove.
10. Serve hot with rice.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !