Mulai Keerai (Amaranth Leaves) – handful, finely chopped
Rice – 250 gms
Moong Dal – 100 gms
Peppercorns – 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Ginger – 1 tsp, peeled, finely chopped
Cashewnuts – 10, fried
Curry Leaves – few
Ghee – 100 ml
Salt as per taste
1. Dry roast the rice and moong dal for a minute.
2. Powder the peppercorns and cumin seeds.
3. Pressure cook the dal and rice till 5 whistles. For 1 part of the dal-rice mixture, add 4 cups of water.
4. Heat ghee in a pan.
5. Saute the spinach, pepper and cumin powder, ginger and curry leaves for 2 minutes.
6. Add salt to the cooked rice and mash well.
7. Add the spinach mixture and fried cashewnuts.
8. Gently mix well.
9. Serve at once.
Image credit: egglesscooking.com
Note: image is for illustration purposes only and not that of the actual recipe.