- Place the dried beans in a bowl and cover with plenty of cold water.
- Soak for about 12 hours.
- Drain and transfer to a pan.
- Trim rind from the bacon and add it to the pan.
- Add half the onion, 2 garlic cloves and thyme.
- Cover generously with cold water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 40 minutes or until the beans are tender.
- Dice the bacon and remaining onion.
- Sauté in 1 tblsp oil, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and lightly coloured and the bacon slightly crisp.
- Drain the cooked beans and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the bacon and onion.
- Add 1/4 cup olive oil, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Keep aside to cool.
- When cool, add a little extra oil if required.
- Add the lemon juice and parsley.
- Stir well and serve.