For the Filling:
Sugar – 1/3 cup
Cornstarch – 1/8 cup
Milk – 1 1/2 cups
Egg Yolks – 1 to 2
Vanilla – 1 tsp
Butter – 1 tblsp
Salt – a small pinch
For the outer shell:
Butter – 1/4 cup
Hot Water – 1/2 cup
Eggs – 2
Flour – 1/2 cup
Salt – 1/4 tsp
For the frosting:
Butter – 1/8 cup
Sugar – 1/2 cup, powdered
Milk – 1/2 tblsp
Chocolate – 2 tblsp, unsweetened
1. To make the filling, fill half a bowl with ice cubes and add enough water to cover the ice.
2. Mix the sugar, salt and cornstarch in a pan over medium flame.
3. Gently add the milk and cook for 5 minutes or until it starts to boil.
4. Allow it to boil for 30 to 60 seconds.
5. Beat the egg yolks slightly and slowly add some of the hot milk into the ggs.
6. Now pour the egg mixture into the pan and reduce flame.
7. Cook over low heat for a minute or until it starts to bubble. Keep stirring all the time.
8. Remove the pan and add vanilla and butter.
9. Strain this into another bowl and place this in the ice-water bowl.
10. Stir from time to time until cool.
11. Remove and cover with cling film.
12. Keep in the fridge until cold.
13. To prepare the shell, place the butter and water in a pan over medium flame.
14. Cook until it comes a boil.
15. Add flour and salt.
16. Stir constantly and cook until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan (about a minute).
17. Remove from flame and add the eggs.
18. Stir well to mix.
19. Spread this on an baking sheet in eclair moulds and bake in a preheated oven at 425F for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
20. Remove and poke a hole in one end of each shell and keep them in the oven for 20 minutes to dry.
21. To make the frosting, microwave the chocolate on high heat for 45 seconds and stir.
22. Once the chocolate has melted completely, add the butter, sugar and milk.
23. Mix well until smooth.
24. Now, transfer the chocolate filling into a pastry bag.
25. Insert the tip into each eclair sheel and squeeze in.
26. Spread some over the top and keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
Tip: The eclair shell can be of any shape, as desired.