Goan Chicken Vindaloo is a traditional Goan dish that goes well with pulao, naan or roti. A spicy and tangy chicken curry, it is popular in Goa and Konkan region. While the traditional vindaloo is made with lamb, this one is made using chicken.
Goan Chicken Vindaloo Recipe
Ingredients for Goan Chicken Vindaloo
- 500 gms Chicken cut into pieces
- 2 tblsp Butter – 2 tblsp
- 1 Onion – 1 medium, sliced
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Powder
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tblsp Water
- 1/2 tblsp Sugar
- 2 Cloves
- 1 tblsp White Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Tomato Puree
- Salt as per taste
How to make Goan Chicken Vindaloo
- Mix the vinegar, 1/2 of the sliced onions, ginger garlic paste, cinnamon stick, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and salt in a bowl.
- Blend to a smooth paste.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add the chicken pieces and mix well to coat evenly.
- Keep aside to marinate overnight.
- Heat butter in a pan.
- Add the remaining onion and fry till transparent.
- Add the chicken pieces, water and tomato puree.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer over low heat for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Cook till the chicken is tender.
- Serve as a side dish to pulao, naan or roti.