Chicken – 1 1/2 kg, washed, dried inside and out
Lime – 1, quartered
Salt – 3 tsp
Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp
TUrmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Ghee – 4 tblsp
Garlic – 2 cloves, halved
Water – 300 ml
Bay Leaves – 2
Cardamom Pods – 3, split
1. Rub the lime pieces inside and outside the chicken.
2. Keep the lime pieces aside.
3. Mix salt, black pepper and turmeric in a bowl.
4. Rub this mixture into the chicken.
5. Melt ghee in a pan.
6. Add the chicken and let it brown all over, basting and turning regularly.
7. Squeeze the remaining lime juice over the chicken.
8. Add garlic, water, salt, bay leaves and cardamom.
9. Bring to a boil.
10. Cover and cook over low heat for 2 hours, turning and basting occasionally.
11. Remove the chicken from the pan and keep it warm.
12. Reduce the liquid in the pan to half over high heat.
13. Discard bay leaves and cardamom.
14. Place the chicken on a bed of rice and pour the reduced liquid over the top.
15. Serve hot.