Fattoush is a Lebanese salad that is made with toasted pita bread, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, and seasoned with olive oil, lemon juice and sumac.
The name comes from the Arabic word “fattāḥ”, meaning “to break into pieces” or “to be mixed together.” It is typically served as an appetizer or side dish.
Ingredients for Fattoush
- 1 Onion large, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Sumac
- 2 Tomatoes large, diced
- 4 Cucumber diced
- 1/4 bunch Mint Leaves chopped
- 1/2 bunch Parsley
- 1 bunch Watercress
- 10 Lettuce shredded
- 5 Radish sliced into rounds
- 1 loaf Pita Bread medium, toasted, cut into small squares
For the Dressing:
- 2 Garlic Cloves crushed
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 5 tbsp Olive Oil
How to make Fattoush
- Mix the onions and sumac in a bowl.
- Add the vegetables and mix well.
- Mix half of the bread with vegetables.
- In an another bowl mix all the dressing ingredients.
- Add the dressing to the vegetables and mix gently.
- Garnish with the remaining bread.