Parboiled Rice – 1 cup
Black Gram Dal (Sabut Urad/ Karuppu Ulundu) – 1/3 cup
Chana Dal – 1/3 cup
Toor Dal – 1/3 cup
Ginger – 1 inch piece, grated
Green Chillies – 5, chopped
Salt as per taste
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Coconut – 1/4 cup, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
Oil for shallow frying
1. Wash rice and soak in water for 60 minutes.
2. Combine the black gram dal, chana dal and toor dal.
3. Wash and soak in water for 60 minutes.
4. Drain rice and grind to make a coarse batter, gradually adding 1/3 cup of water.
5. Drain dals and grind to make a coarse batter with ginger and green chillies, adding 1/4 cup of water.
6. Combine both the batters.
7. Mix in salt, curry leaves, coconut and a little more water, if necessary, to make a thick batter of pouring consistency.
8. Heat a tawa over high heat.
9. Smear 1 tsp of oil over it and spread it evenly.
10. Lower heat.
11. Pour a ladle of batter and spread it around using the back of a ladle.
12. Dribble 1 tsp of oil around the edges and cook till base is golden.
13. Turn carefully and fry the other side till crisp and golden.
14. Serve hot with coconut chutney and dosa milaga podi.